2008-08-06

The Baltimore of the East Coast

So I'm getting all hyped up for my trip home in about two weeks. This will be my third trip to the U.S. since I moved away, so that part is like old news, except for getting to see my family and friends in Ohio is never boring.

But, more importantly, (let me say a pre-emptive "sorry" to the Ohio crew) I'm stoked about going to Baltimore for the first time since I left, which was in January 2007. I would call myself an asshole for not going back sooner, but that's assuming that my visit is just a treat for those who I'd see. Actually, it's more of a treat for me, so I'm being an asshole to myself for not going back sooner. I'm a masochist.

Anyway, I have to say that even though Baltimore is, in general, not a very good city, it definitely has it's good points. First of all, just today I mentioned to my coworkers that eating outside at McCormack and Schmidt in the inner harbor is just about the most beautiful outdoor dining experience I have had. Surprising that it isn't in the vineyards of Austria, the piazzas of Italy, or the riverfront of Cincinnati, all of which I have been to multiple times. Okay, so that last one isn't too surprising. But, Baltimore has that going for it, as well as a handful of self-contained bubble neighborhoods (Fells Point, Mount Vernon, Canton, and of course Fed Hill) that mix a bit of small-town comfort with the bigger-city environment. But in reality, this paragraph was leading up to this one sentence: it's all about the people.

That's why I felt/feel compelled to write a story about this city and it's tolerable, if not awesome, inhabitants. I'll let you know when I'm done, which I hope will only take me a couple of months in my spare time. We'll see how it turns out. In the mean time, I hope to catch you in Baltimore when I make my grand return later this month.

Cheers.

No comments: