2007-09-17

...if it weren't for you meddling kids!


A couple of weeks ago on a Saturday I went on a run, and as I crossed one of the bridges over the Danube (just a kilometer away from my apartment) I heard music begin to play. On my way back I say a small
crowd of people standing at the side of the bridge on the north end looking down at the foot/bike path below.

What I saw was not particularly special if it weren't for the scale and timing of it all. It was before dark, and there were about forty youngsters with spray cans blasting music and vandalizing the layers graffiti that I assume had been there as long as this 100 meter section of wall. Now, I can't imagine that these guys were going to make the wall look any worse than it did already (although the old graffiti wasn't bad at all), but isn't that a crime?

Then I began to think about it. Obviously this was a fairly well-organized event, complete with a hefty boombox and enough paint to arm an entire junior high class. So maybe they cleared it with the city? Hmmm. Maybe the city knows that vandalism happens, so they might as well allow it on their terms (I've also seen people not dressed in uniforms cleaning spray paint off of the top side of the same bridge... punishment?). Maybe, just maybe.

"Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow." -Lawrence Clark Powell

No comments: